Make time in your itinerary to experience this spectacular roundtrip excursion on the Gornergratbahn mountain rack railway from Zermatt to Gornergrat. When you reach the railway station at the top, make your way to the viewing platform – standing over 3,100 metres. Take in the awe-inspiring views of 29 peaks, some rising over 4,000 metres. This 33-minute trip has been operating since 1898, and is credited with being Europe’s highest open-air cog railway. It is hard to find more dramatic views that what you will see on top of the Gornergrat. If all goes as planned, you will be treated to indescribable views of the Matterhorn, you will be filled with such a feeling of peace and awe as you view this masterpiece of nature. If weather conditions foil your opportunity to see the Matterhorn, don’t be too upset – it just gives you one more reason to return to Switzerland!
Exclusive limited-time Summer offer: use promo code 8SUMMER19 to get NZ$140 off bookings of NZ$1500 or more. Offer ends 25 June 2019.
Experience the beauty of the Gornergrat on Europe’s highest cog wheel railway
- Round trip travel on Gornergrat Bahn mountain cog wheel railway from Zermatt to the Gornergrat railway station
- Stunning views of 29 surrounding peaks rising above 4000m, including the iconic Matterhorn
- Issued as an exchange voucher
- Year-round viewing platform
- Children under 6 travel free
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
- Round-trip travel on the Gornergratbahn mountain cog railway from Zermatt to the Gornergrat train station on Gornergrat.
- Access to the viewing platform, offering panoramic view of 29 mountain peaks.
- Exchange voucher for actual ticket within 6 months of issue with the cashier at the Zermatt Gornergrat Bahn (GGB) station in Zermatt.
- Discounted fares are only valid with a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card please refer to type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card holders must present valid pass/card at time of exchange.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Discounted fare for children 6 - 15
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
Read all ]
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. I have a question about my Rail Europe Gift Card. Who should I contact?
A. Just send us a message on our Contact Us page and we will respond to you via email within 24 to 48 hours.
Q. If I bought my rail pass from another company, can I still book my seat reservations through Rail Europe?
A. Yes. You can book your reservation with Rail Europe regardless of where you purchased your rail pass.
Q. Where can I find my e ticket number or e ticket confirmation code?
A. Your e-ticket number or e-ticket confirmation code is a string of 6 letters (or an 8 character alphanumeric code for British e-tickets) that can be found on your Rail Europe email invoice.
In addition, if you have purchased on our website while signed into your Rail Europe account, you may retrieve this code by looking up your booking in your Dashboard. You can also find it by accessing your itinerary through our mobile site or iPhone app.
Q. Will a National Rail Strike affect my train travel?
A. A national strike impacting rail services could affect train travel for locals and visitors alike. Typically, during a rail strike there will be a reduced number of trains operating which could lead to more passengers on board trains that are running, changes in schedules, or even alternate modes of transportation (such as buses) to transport passengers to their destinations.
In the event of a strike, Rail Europe will provide as much information as possible to assist those who may be impacted. If a strike has been announced, you can always submit inquiries to Rail Europe through the Contact Us page or, if you’re already in Europe during a strike, go directly to a railway station and ask the local railway official for assistance.
Q. What information does Rail Europe retain from my Facebook account?
Q. Do you offer discounts on tickets for groups?
A. If your group consists of 10 or more passengers, you’ll be entitled to group rate tickets. Please note that for British domestic trains, we can provide a quote for nine travellers. First and second class group rates are available. Simply fill out our Group Quote form and a dedicated agent will answer your request.
Q. My plans have changed and I won’t be able to use my rail pass. Can I get a refund?
A. You can submit your rail pass for a refund. Please be advised that there is a 15% penalty. Only unused and unvalidated (non-activated) rail passes can be refunded. The pass must be returned to Rail Europe, along with a brief letter mentioning the original reference number of the booking. It’s strongly recommended that you send these documents by some type of traceable mail for proof of delivery.
If you purchased the Rail Protection Plan™ and your rail pass is covered, you’re eligible to receive a credit for its entire value. No fee or penalty will be applied, and you can use this credit towards any future Rail Europe purchase within 2 years. Please read more about the Rail Protection Plan™ and for instructions on how to file a claim.
Please visit our Cancellation and Refunds page for more information.
Q. Can I bring my pet on board?
A. Generally, cats and dogs are allowed on trains, though they may need to be contained in a pet carrier or wear a muzzle or leash. Pets are not allowed on some trains in Great Britain, Spain, Ireland, Norway, and Finland. Currently the only animals that are permitted to travel on Eurostar are guide dogs for the visually impaired.
Some trains require advance reservations for pets. Unfortunately, Rail Europe cannot make reservations for your pet. This will need to be done locally. In general, dogs normally travel at half the fare of a second class ticket, payable directly to the conductor.
Q. Are there luggage handling services at the station for groups?
A. Yes, luggage handling is offered at select train stations in Europe. Please contact our group department for more details.
Q. Who is eligible to buy a rail pass?
A. Rail passes are available to anyone except residents of Europe, the United Kingdom, Morocco, Turkey or any of the countries of the former Soviet Union. If you’re a resident of these countries we can’t sell you our rail passes, but there are other similar options available to you such as the InterRail pass.