Italian trains: Italo
- Florence - Rome: 01:32
- Book early, save up to 80%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Italian trains: Italo
Italo, high speed trains serving main cities like Venice, Rome, Milan, Florence etc with best comfort.
Italo is the high speed train operated by a second railway company in Italy, NTV (Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori). Italo is a beautiful and modern red train, travelling at up to 360km/h. It connects major Italian cities like Rome, Napoli, Florence and Milan. Italo’s design, comfort, onboard services awaken the pleasure of train travel. Wi-Fi Internet everywhere on board and small cozy business class lounges, refined cuisine… such are the treats which await you on board the Italo. Italo is one of the most modern trains in the world. Compared to a classic high speed train, it consumes 30% less energy, thus promoting actions which will improve eco-sustainability. If you have purchased a rail pass which includes Italy, please note that Passholder fares are not offered for Italo trains. If you have an Italo ticket from/to Florence, you can benefit from free travel on the Ataf network (buses, tramvia 1) 24 hours before or after your travel date. Please note that if the number of infants exceeds the number of adults, any additional infant will be charged at a child’s rate.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Napoli – Roma||1 h 08|
|Roma – Firenze||1 h 27|
|Milan – Firenze||1 h 56|
|Roma – Bologna||2 h 12|
|Firenze – Napoli||2 h 42|
|Roma – Milan||2 h 45|
|Milan – Napoli||4 h 46|
- If you are travelling with a child under 2 years old you won’t have to pay for a ticket for them as long as they don’t require an extra seat.
- Children (2-15 years) and Senior (over 60 years) are eligible for a discounted fare. Conditions apply.
- If you have an Italo ticket from/to Florence, you can enjoy free travel on the buses and trams on the Ataf network in the 24 hours before or after your travel date.
- If you have an Italy pass or another pass which includes Italy please note you won’t be offered a discount on your ticket and will have to pay the normal fare for a journey with Italo trains.
- If the number of infants exceeds the number of adults, any additional infant will be charged at a child’s rate.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Italo tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat Reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
If you are looking for comfort, safety and value for money to visit Italy’s main cities, look no further. Italo is the perfect way to discover Italy by train.
Privately operated by NTV, Italo trains have an avant-garde look and feel, almost inviting you to jump on board hit the rails immediately.
Experience the service
The high-speed Italo trains will stop at Roma Termini, Roma Tiburtina and Roma Ostiense when in Rome, and Milano Centrale and Milano Rogoredo when in Milan.
The Milan Central railway station is the most important train station in Milan.
The Milano Rogoredo railway station has a connection with Rogoredo metro station. It is located about 10km away from the Linate airport. The ATM Bus lines 73 and X73 offers a connection from Milano Linate airport to Milan city centre.
The Roma Termini railway station is the main railway station of Rome. It is 20 minutes’ walk away from the Colosseum.
The Roma Ostiense railway station is the gateway to Roma Fiumicino Airport and is convenient for business travellers.
The Roma Tiburtina railway station is 4 km away from Roma Termini station. The metro offers an easy connection between the two stations. Roma Tiburtina railway station is a brand new station for high speed trains only. It is connected to the Tiburtina metro station.
Other stations served by the Italo trains are Torino Porta Nuova and Verona Porta Nuova.There is no check in or customs procedures prior to boarding Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. For any assistance, queries or requests please refer to the Casa Italo counters.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Prima||Smart|
|Business lounge at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious leather seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Service crew For any question or help, a hostess/steward is present on board. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
- Each carriage of Italo trains is equipped with CCTV, thus allowing an increased security for the passengers.
- If you want to have a snack or a drink, there are 2 Area Break with self-service vending machines in coach n°3 and n°7 on board the Italo trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. Italo offers different classes of service. Rail Europe offers 3 classes of service for Italo: the Smart class, the Club class and the Prima class. The Smart class is the equivalent of second class, where passengers have the following services: 2 dedicated stewards/hostesses and comfortable seats. The Prima class is the equivalent of first class, where passengers have the following services: A dedicated steward/hostess, welcome drink and snacks, daily newspapers, complimentary expresso and large reclining seats. A supplement is needed for catering service in Prima class. The Club class has the same services as the Prima class plus video screens and access to business lounge.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. Yes. Passengers can use baggage lockers which are found between the coaches. However they have to make a 1 euro deposit. There are also luggage areas at the end of the carriage which can be used without any supplement.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
- A. Italo trains offer high speed train services connecting the major cities of Italy such as Milano, Bologna, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, Salerno, Venezia, Torino and Padova. There are several daily connections between the main cities which are served by Italo. There are several daily connections between Milan and Roma and the number of connections will increase in the following years.
answered | Posted by SYED N. | Comments 6 | Created: 24/05/2016
answered | Posted by Chandramouli S. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/02/2016
answered | Posted by Mohammad A. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/01/2016
answered | Posted by Haneef | Comments 0 | Created: 19/01/2016
answered | Posted by Ang C. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Italo
Overall rating (58)
Overall appreciationExcellent 60% Very good 28% Average 8% Poor 1% Terrible 4%
- "Good train journey " James s. 14/02/2017
It was my first time on Italian railways ....I very much enjoyed it Value for money Convenience
- "Nice experience" Orit s. 05/02/2017
very nice. liked it. fast and convenient. Value for money Convenience
- "Very nice travel" Mauricio z. 13/01/2017
Was a very nice experience, very confortable and with some good technological amenities. I recomend the service. Value for money Convenience
- "Muy feliz del resultado!!!" Jorge m. 28/12/2016
Los felicito!!!! Excelente servicio!!! Value for money Convenience
- "10/10" Haryani Rohaidah h. 26/12/2016
I would travel with Italo again. Train depart and reached destination on time. Seats are comfortable, announcement was clear and train was very clean. The only acception is that compartment to put heavy and big lagguage was not sufficient. Could provide more space for heavy and big lagguage near to the door. Other than that, everything else is good. Value for money Convenience
- "rome trip" Colin b. 16/12/2016
on time, value for money, and arrived at a convenient location, a walk away from my hotel Value for money Convenience
- "Rome to Naples " Leonard c. 11/12/2016
Train was on time,comfortable,and super fast. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Experiance" Ruchi a. 10/12/2016
It was really great service provided by Euro rail. Seats are less comfortable but ok for short journey. Value for money Convenience
- "Very good experience" Loukas c. 28/11/2016
everything was good. a little bit expensive Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel" Margo o. 24/11/2016
Our train trip to Venice was efficient and cost effective. It was easy to purchase our tickets on Rail Europe, (although we did not get confirmation until almost 24 hours after the purchase was made.) Italo is a wonderful rail line. Very clean and comfortable. It is our first choice when traveling in Italy. Value for money Convenience
- "Reduce the price" Yu n. 11/11/2016
The price is higher compare with the aircraft. Hope to adjust it . Thank you! Value for money Convenience
- "Very Good" Parthipan k. 10/11/2016
Very Good Value for money Convenience
- "It was a good trip" Eleni s. 10/11/2016
It was a really comfortable and realaxing trip. The train was on time at the Bologna Centrale and the duration of our trip was really short. I will travel with Rail Europe again, for sure. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable Trip" Jan g. 07/11/2016
Comfortable, clean and on time. A very smooth ride. The only issue was a random stranger (young male) who pretended to 'help' us with getting our luggage onboard and turned out to be a would-be thief. He was soon shouted at and escorted off the platform at Venezia S Lucia by station/rail staff. Value for money Convenience
- "Late notice" Consuelo m. 06/11/2016
The boarding platform at Firenze was only shown on the board less than 5 minutes before departure. Other trains information leaving later than ours were already displayed. We didn't know what was going on and the ground staff was not helpful. Once on board, the journey was fine. Value for money Convenience