5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The main railway companies of Ireland are the Northern Ireland Railways and Iarnród Éireann (in Republic of Ireland). Ireland has a good and reliable railway network. Train tickets for trains operating in Ireland can be booked in advance. Book train train tickets to visit main cities of Ireland by train. Irish cities including Dublin, Cork and Belfast are all served by trains.
Get the best of both worlds, take an Intercity train across Ireland from Cork, a self-styled college influenced city through to the capital Dublin. Here you’ll find pubs on every street corner and all the character Ireland is famous for.
Travelling through Ireland by train you’ll see the country as you’d never witness on the road, and in a flash. Between Cork and Dublin you’ll find County Kildare, hop off the train to enjoy the open grasslands, lush green pastures, trees and gently rolling hills; perfect for stretching your legs.
Dublin and Belfast are the top choices for shopping; the Intercity trains connect the cities easily. Streets of well-stocked stores and inviting window displays will leave you spoilt for choice for what to take home. And boutiques, farmers’ markets, flea markets and craft shops are aplenty for something a little different, all situated in the city station vicinity.
Eat & Drink
Derry chefs like to make the most of the local delights; seafood from the River Foyle with a pint of Guinness to wash it down is the speciality. The city prides itself as being the hospitality champions of Ireland. There’s plenty of choice, from traditional Irish pubs to trendy innovative bars and all just an hour and 50-minute Translink train journey from Belfast.
Check out Aviva, the 50,000 all-seated capacity rugby stadium opening in Dublin.
Rail Pass benefits in Ireland
- 30% discount for the ferry crossings (standard fare) from Rosslare to Cherbourg (France) (February to December) and Rosslare to Roscoff (France) (May to September) operated by Irish Ferries. We recommend advance booking. No daily sailings.
- 30% discount on the crossings Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead (UK), Cairnryan - Belfast, Dublin Port-Holyhead, Liverpool - Belfast and Rosslare - Fishguard (UK) operated by Stena Line (standard fares).
- 30% discount on the crossings Dublin - Holyhead (UK) and Rosslare - Pembroke (UK) operated by Irish Ferries (standard fares).
- Free travel on the national railway of Northern Ireland operated by Translink NI Railways.
- Up to €30 discount for Railtours Ireland, an guided tour of Ireland